Sunday 22 July 2012

Westport's "Classtonbury" Returns for Year Two...

Photo Copyright: Westport Festival of Music and Performing Arts
If this was a tweet, it would read something like this "I'm-ever-so-'appy! Classtonbury is back for yr two".  Well done, Westport Festival of Music and Performing Arts, you played a blinder.  

Obviously, I wasn't the happiest woman in Ireland more recently, having experienced the Phoenix Park in all its glory.  However, as I mentioned, I had been somewhat spoiled.  The Westport Festival of Music and Performing Arts, or Classtonbury as I have chosen to rename it, is a joy to behold.  Situated on the wondrous grounds of Westport House, the festival really is a classy gig... not simply because, unlike many other festivals, it has tailored its style to a less "let's pack the place out" business stance, but also its offering, which is less of a festival, and more of an experience.  One which attracts folk spanning at least three generations, all seeking the same thing - music - but not at any cost.

Y'see, music festivals are an experience: one to be enjoyed, not tolerated or suffered.  On the basis of that statement, I may be accused of being a "young fogie" and maybe I am, but why would you selectively subject yourself to torturous, disorganised, cramped madness when you could enjoy food, beer [or wine] and an array of wonderful artists in harmonious circumstances?

Indeed.  What about the delightful Irish weather conditions, I hear you ask? Well, you can't legislate for them, but you can almost certainly provide an atmosphere which allows people to enjoy music despite the weather.  I'll never forget the "stair-rod"-like rain which fell during the Waterboys set...  at a certain point, I had to concede defeat, and retreat.  However, there was a vehemency in my need to soldier on for Ray Davies.  And I did.  

I wasn't concerned that it'd take about five hours [yes, I'm exaggerating] to get back to the stage, or make my way to a decent standpoint... I could ramble over, and without having to ram my way through, get a good spot just far enough up to feel like I could see something of the man himself.  And not on a screen two hundred feet away.

I'm in business, and I know well that scalability is mandatory for sustainability and growth... but equally, being "niche" and catering for specific audiences is key.  There may be selfish reasons underpinning this next statement, however, I am resolute in my belief that this festival will grow and develop its following on the basis of maintaining what made it so damn special the first time around.  And that is the classy, boutique, warm, and downright welcoming vibe that enveloped people wandering through the gates of the great house just a few weeks ago.

So, please, Classtonbury, don't lose what made you so special in year one! Oh... and I can't wait to see who'll be making an appearance in the line-up for 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment